Cinderford Town 2 Rockleaze Rangers 1

Cinderford Town went into this cup game with low expectation having been well beaten by Rockleaze in the league but put in an incredibly determined performance to progress through to the semi-final.

With the last league game in mind Cinderford lined up in a brand new 3-2-1 formation looking to stifle the Rockleaze attacks and hit them on the break.  The game started at an electric pace with plenty of quick football and tough tackling from both teams, Rockleaze settling the quickest and putting together several dangerous attacks.

Rockleaze took the lead mid way through the first half when a Cinderford attack broke down and a quick counter left Cinderford out numbered at the back post for a simple tap in.  This spurred Cinderford on though and it took a great save from the Rockleaze keeper to deny Charlie Taylor before Liam Wilkins’ attempted lob dropped just over the bar.

Half time 0-1

The second half continued at a quick pace, Cinderford starting to get into the game with Charlie Taylor and Theo Crompton starting to dominate the midfield and Ethan Kwok also retricting the Rockleaze attacks with some well timed tackles when he came on. Rockleaze always looked dangerous going forward despite some excellent defensive performance performances from Ryley Cocker, Jack Cook and Joel Morse.  Callum Phillips made 3 incredible saves from Rockleaze chances when they looked more likely to score.

Liam Wilkins continued to toil away upfront on his own and got his reward with 10 minutes to go when the keeper failed to hold on to Theo Crompton’s shot and Liam Wilkins slammed home the loose ball.  The game was very level now and both teams playing excellent football.

Full time 1-1

Going into extra time Charlie Taylor took over in goal and Rockleaze were on top for the first half creating several good chances which Charlie Taylor was more than equal to.  The second half once again Cinderford were on top and there were very few chances as the game went into the last minute.  With just 10 seconds to go Liam Wilkins picked the ball up in the Rockleaze half, beat the last defender before firing low and hard into the bottom corner of the net to huge celebrations and to secure the 2-1 win.

It was a fantastic performance from both sides and the level of football that was played was superb and the game highly entertaining.  The team spirit on show from Cinderford was outstanding throughout.  Cinderford now progress to the semi final where they will play Painswick on February 22nd.

Discover more from Cinderford Town Youth FC

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading